8.10.2010

Meeting Mom .

Aside from today, I havent posted in a while I kinda went on a lil hiatus this weekend. On Thursday I hit NY for a special someones bday and even met "Mom" while I was at it...scary, I know. I think this was the first time I was ever nervous about meeting some one's family, I think it was because they werent American. I'm not saying that to be funny at all. It's just in our culture so many things are accepted but in other's so many of those things arent.

In late June when I went to visit my bf, I was asked if I wanted to meet "Mom" but then was quickly told "oh never mind, you cant meet her wearing "those" shorts, maybe next time." Like most people, I felt a way, thinking to myself...it is summer time and i am a girl, what does she expect? However, I smartened up and realized I should never give anyone the benefit of the doubt. He knows his mother, he must be saying this for a reason, if it was respect I wanted from her then it was respect I had to give. I didnt want to give her any reason to talk about me when I left. So best believe the next time I came to visit, on Thursday, I did myself a favor, and packed a pair of jeans to switch into before I set foot in her house. Needless to say, we hit it off way better than I thought and I no longer have anything to be nervous about.

The moral of the story is that even though you may not agree with or understand someone's opinions, values, or anything along those lines, at least have the audacity to show some respect. You cant expect anyone to respect your shit if you dont respect yourself  first, and them. Actually, now that I think about it, I dont see how anyone couldn't/wouldn't respect other cultures for being so deeply rooted in their beliefs. Its one thing to have strong beliefs and another to be ignorant/close minded. I can honestly say, a lot of America has become lenient and unfortunately, not a lot of people pride themselves with family values and such. I am proud be an American but I do realize we have a lot to revamp in our culture. But all in all, remember, a little respect goes along way.