8.20.2010

Pink Friday

For all you barbies and kens out there...I know yall are anticipating Nicki's debut LP titled Pink Friday. Well, you guys arent the only ones. I was reading a few articles that were praising Nicki for her success but also raised a few questions. Now we all know Nicki Minaj has come along way, from looks to rhymes, she's very commercial. One thing about the industry is that they try to commercialize you as much as they can because it not only makes the artist and them more money but it opens up more doors. If youve been a Nicki fan since the wet and wavey weave to the Dr Jay ads then you will understand exactly what im about to say. IDC what anyone says, the old hip hop Nicki was better from Sunshine to Itty Bitty Piggy. Dont get me wrong this Nicki now with her alter ego and crazy voices is very entertaining but like the articles expressed, I too feel as though thats not who we were introduced to. The commericalized Nicki has been able to crossover into other genres like pop earlier than most artist. This is a great accomplishment but im worried that she will get caught up and forget about her true fan base. "Your Love" has been at the top of the charts for weeks now and thats because anyone can listen to it. I hope that Pink Friday will do decent but most of all, that she has tracks on there go hard. Since her big come up and debut, the only songs ive felt she was the Nicki I knew was on the All I Do Is Win Rmx and Up All Night..none of which were HER songs. All in all, im very interested in seeing what she will do next and I will continue to give her props but I hope she delivers a few hits for hip hop.

For the full article click [ here ]